Domenick Anthony Cama Law, P.A.

Crafting Strategies To Protect Your Future

How can I bring my family to the US?

by | Sep 28, 2021 | Immigration |

Petition for Alien Relative:

Any U.S. Citizen or Green Card holder (permanent resident) may petition for certain family members, such as spouses, fiancés, and children to immigrate to the United States and become lawful permanent residents (LPRs). The sponsor citizen or LPR must first file a petition on their beneficiary’s behalf. The purpose of this petition is to demonstrate a qualifying relationship between the sponsor and beneficiary. The beneficiary must then file their own Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. The filing location depends on your place of residence, and whether the petitioners are concurrently filing their respective petitions.

Eligible Beneficiaries

A U.S. citizen may file a Petition for Alien Relative on behalf of the following persons:

  • Spouses and Fiancés;
  • Unmarried children under 21;
  • Unmarried sons or daughters over 21;
  • Married sons and daughters;
  • Brothers and sisters if petitioner is over 21; and
  • Mother and father if petitioner is over 21.

A lawful permanent resident may file a Petition for Alien Relative on behalf of the following persons:

  • Spouses;
  • Unmarried child under 21; and
  • Unmarried son or daughter over 21.

Adjustment of Status and Consular Processing

Once a visa becomes available to the beneficiary, Adjustment of Status and Consular Processing are two pathways to obtaining a Green Card, and permanent residency.

A beneficiary lawfully residing inside the United States must file the appropriate forms and supporting evidence with the government. This process is called Adjustment of Status. If their petition is approved, the beneficiary becomes a lawful permanent resident through the Adjustment of Status process. This Petition may be filed together with the sponsor’s Petition for Alien Relative, or once a visa becomes available.

A beneficiary residing abroad should apply at a U.S. Department of State consulate for an immigrant visa. Beneficiaries abroad are admitted to the USA as permanent residents through what is called “consular processing.”

Protect your rights.

Petitioning for our loved ones to immigrate and become lawful permanent residents is an important, life changing process for the entire family unit. Having a skilled, competent immigration attorney on your side ensures your rights and interests are protected throughout the process. Call the Law Office of Domenick Anthony Cama, P.A. now to schedule your initial consultation.